Implications for the Future of Distance Learning

In an every changing technological world, students need to have access to the newest innovations to be success in the global marketplace. Many students are taking advantage of the flexibility and cost effectiveness of online instruction to achieve their educational goals. High quality learning communities can help students learn new material in a variety of ways not available in a traditional classroom. As the move towards virtual education progresses, school systems will have to implement strategies to meet the demands of an ever changing student population. Global competiveness is a hot topic across educational forums. Remaining competitive in a global job market means that our educational practices must match or exceed best practices applied in different countries. Virtual learning allows educational institutions to meet student demand for educational opportunities more readily than traditional brick and mortar schools. Inherently, distance learning provides the flexibility necessary to adapt quickly to changing educational goals based on job market conditions. Virtual educational institutions and programs can better prepare students for current employment vacancies because they have the ability to reach more people, accommodate change more rapidly, and provide superior educational options when compared to traditional schools.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Most Important Theory Used for Educational Technology

EDUC 639

References

Collins, A., & Halverson, R. (2009).Rethinking education in the age of technology: The digital revolution and schooling in America. New York: Teachers College Press.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine,
    As I watch this video and others, it dawns on me that several of you have recorded your videos in your cars! Indeed, we are meeting the needs of the learners....(hopefully at full stop and not at a stop light...LOL)
    You are able to complete assignments wherever you are and whenever you have time. Amazing, right? Now , how can we transpose this on to traditional public education?
    Looking forward to your thoughts!
    Doc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doc,

    Without the flexibility of online learning, there is no way I would be able to complete my masters. The video was actually taken in the parking lot of the Georgia International Convention Center where I was attending a teacher technology conference. How you transpose this on to traditional public education is complicated, but I think we start with teenagers that are motivated by academic choice and you build from there.

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine you made some very good points on the use of current technologies in the new age of advancements in education. This has further my views on the integration of technology on the classroom and distance education. The need to stay with the latest technology in the classroom is important because this is what students today relate to. Outdated teaching techniques can perhaps be utilized when technology is not available but the tools available today are extraordinarily making a difference in the classroom. It indeed allows the student to take the lead when it comes to learning with the latest and greatest software or computer based learning strategy. I plan to further my research on the use of educational games that can also be used in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Katherine,
    Very good post. You are putting the mobile part of learning to literal use. I love it. I read the same book and agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. I can attest to the fact that much of the traditional classroom techniques have become outdated. Where I work we have made great strides over the past several years to obtain grants to meet some of the new technological needs that are mentioned in the book by Collins and Halverson. We have purchased four simulation manikins and an ambulance simulator to aid our students in learning. These are very interactive devices that students can use and faculty can program with iPads or Laptops for specific simulation. I still love to watch the students when SimMan says, "I am feeling, much better now." Many schools systems cannot keep up with the technology. Good post!

    Reference:
    Collins, A., & Halverson, R. (2009). Rethinking education in the age of
    technology: The digital revolution and schooling in America. New
    York: Teachers College Press.

    In Christ,

    Linda

    ReplyDelete