Implications for the Future of Distance Learning

In an every changing technological world, students need to have access to the newest innovations to be success in the global marketplace. Many students are taking advantage of the flexibility and cost effectiveness of online instruction to achieve their educational goals. High quality learning communities can help students learn new material in a variety of ways not available in a traditional classroom. As the move towards virtual education progresses, school systems will have to implement strategies to meet the demands of an ever changing student population. Global competiveness is a hot topic across educational forums. Remaining competitive in a global job market means that our educational practices must match or exceed best practices applied in different countries. Virtual learning allows educational institutions to meet student demand for educational opportunities more readily than traditional brick and mortar schools. Inherently, distance learning provides the flexibility necessary to adapt quickly to changing educational goals based on job market conditions. Virtual educational institutions and programs can better prepare students for current employment vacancies because they have the ability to reach more people, accommodate change more rapidly, and provide superior educational options when compared to traditional schools.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

EDUC 639 Muddy Points


2 comments:

  1. OK, so I am not an expert on this subject, by any means, but I think I do have some answers for you. Regarding embedding music in your PowerPoint presentations; I think you would find that free (public domain) music downloaded from a site would be better. This is because the music you purchase on iTunes is only licensed to you as an individual listener. It is not licensed for "public" use. There are a number of sites out there that offer low-cost (sometimes free) audio files that are not public domain but they are royalty free. That means you can embed them in all kinds of stuff, with varying degrees of freedom from one site to another, and even from one file to another. The same is true with regards to images and videos. There are many stock photo and video sights, that you can purchase the rights to use items in PowerPoints and other presentations. A couple of examples would be Fotolia and ShutterStock. Also, check with your school's IT department or Administrator. They may have a license for utilizing videos and/or music for those kinds of situations. Many churches and ministries use something similar, called CCLI (CCLI Home Page, 2014).

    References:
    CCLI Home Page. (2014). Retrieved September 28, 2014, from CCLI: http://us.ccli.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post Katherine
    I have a similar problem but it deals with pictures. Sometimes I need just a simple picture and I do not intend to sell it. I know better than to use a copyrighted image like a Big Mac. I do work for the government but the products I produce are not intended to be sold. The audience I write curriculum for are young sailors. Do you think it is okay for me to use pictures I find on Google? It is not like my lessons will be sold for tuition. What do you think?
    Reference:
    Crewes, K.D. (n.d.) Checklist for conducting a fair use analysis before using copyrighted materials. Liberty University.

    ReplyDelete