Implications for the Future of Distance Learning

In an every changing technological world, students need to have access to the newest innovations to be success in the global marketplace. Many students are taking advantage of the flexibility and cost effectiveness of online instruction to achieve their educational goals. High quality learning communities can help students learn new material in a variety of ways not available in a traditional classroom. As the move towards virtual education progresses, school systems will have to implement strategies to meet the demands of an ever changing student population. Global competiveness is a hot topic across educational forums. Remaining competitive in a global job market means that our educational practices must match or exceed best practices applied in different countries. Virtual learning allows educational institutions to meet student demand for educational opportunities more readily than traditional brick and mortar schools. Inherently, distance learning provides the flexibility necessary to adapt quickly to changing educational goals based on job market conditions. Virtual educational institutions and programs can better prepare students for current employment vacancies because they have the ability to reach more people, accommodate change more rapidly, and provide superior educational options when compared to traditional schools.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

EDUC 639 - Mobile Computing



Mobile Computing

With devices such as SMART phones and tablets, students are not using traditional desktops or laptops to access information at home.  An overwhelming number of students have access to mobile devices and that number is increasing rapidly.  In addition, at school, most students only have access to a traditional computer in a lab and on a limited basis.  With the advent of Bring Your Own Device initiatives, students are using their mobile devices more and traditional computers less.  Programs that are compatible with apple and android systems are popular with students.  According to an article in THE Journal, titled 10 Major Technology Trends in Education, the majority of students use 3G or 4G enabled devices as their primary means of connecting to the internet.  A wi fi connection is no longer required for students to access information.  Mobile computing is the wave of the future and schools need to embrace this technology to make an impact on student learning. 

References

10 Major Technology Trends in Education -- THE Journal. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://thejournal.com/articles/2014/02/03/10-major-technology-trends-in-education.aspx


6 comments:

  1. HI Katherine,
    Welcome! How might the BYOD movement influence your current teaching practice? Looking forward to your thoughts!
    Doc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doc,

    I think with the BYOD movement, I am trying to incorporate more technology tools into my instruction. Over half of my students have a SMART phone or tablet that they can use in class at any given time. I try to focus on technology tools that help me do what I am already doing, but in a different, more engaging way. For example, I am creating a Powtoon, which is an animated presentation, to introduce a unit. Then, I'm going to allow students to create their own Powtoon to demonstrate their knowledge at the end of the a unit. With students having their own devices, I do not have to worry about scheduling lab time or worry if a lesson takes longer than a day to complete.

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Katherine

    I am glad to know someone else from the state of Georgia is in this course with me. I enjoyed viewing your post and really think you made great points with the regard of BYOD. But I have worked in counties with this in place and the main concern is the speed of the internet in the building and the infrastructure of the network. Some counties such as Cobb has supplied students with an open network for BYOD but it is very slow, limited, and not very reliable. I do agree with you as it is a great idea and more districts should push to that even before starting the one to one idea. The schools also must be more effective in training teachers on the delivery of lessons using technology as well as making it meaningful to the outcome of the learning by the students. Another concern is how will they dill with students that are not able to bring their own devices? I am very interested in this subject because it works along side my word of digital citizenship.


    Caldwell, C., Zeltmann, S., & Griffin, K. (2012, June). BYOD (bring your own device). Competition Forum, 10(2), 117+. Retrieved from http://go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA313344707&v=2.1&u=vic_liberty&it=r&p=AONE&sw=w&asid=362379803b4b707184b247829eeecc75

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Katherine,

    Your post was very articulate and concise. I agree that students are starting to use mobile devices such as mobile phone and tablets over the more traditional computers and laptops. I myself notice that I check for updates and do research more on my mobile device than my laptop. As for myself, when it comes to doing in depth work, I do not see mobile devices offering more than the traditional laptop, but I know someday, laptops will be obsolete.
    For my project, I choose “branding”. My thoughts are that a company needs to peck a person’s interest in order to get them to buy their product. This translates to distance learning in the reputation a school must have to continue improving their program.

    Great Post.

    Nita Paden, R. S. (2008). Branding Options for Distance Learning Programs: Managing the Effects on University Image. Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Katherine,
    Your assessment of the rising usage and reliance on mobile devices by the student population is directly in line with my personal views and predictions. My student population is comprised of adult students in the general industry setting and some of my students are heavily dependent on their mobile phones or tablets. As an educator, I believe it is my responsibility to find a way to capitalize on the advantages of mobile technology and somehow incorporate the usage of that technology into my physical and distance education classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katherine,

    Thanks for your post. Our district is piloting in some classrooms a one-to-one initiative with Apple Ipads this year with the goal of all secondary students having an Apple Ipad next year. Some of the students like the idea, but others are not sure about the idea. The advantage of the one-to-one iinitiative is that the devices will be school property and can be monitored more closely. But the disadvantage is that the Ipads are not 3G or 4G devices and require a Wi-Fi connection. Some of the students will not have the capability of using their device online at home or other locations because they may not have Wi-Fi. But BYOD initiatives have the advantage of the student using their own device that they have chosen and feel comfortable using. If it is a 3G or 4G device, they can do homework assignments almost anywhere. I will be curious to see how things workout for our district with the pilot program this year and full one-to-one implementation next year.

    Thanks

    Wes Harpold

    ReplyDelete